What is LTI?
LTI is an abbreviation for Learning Tools Interoperability, which is a standard protocol developed by 1EdTech. It allows services like VoiceThread to integrate with your Haiku environment as single-sign-on tools.
The resulting experience for instructors and students is simple:
- Sign in to your Haiku account.
- Navigate to your course.
- Click on the VoiceThread LTI link.
- Use VoiceThread.
Clicking on a VoiceThread LTI link will authenticate the user, establish an account for him if he didn’t have one already, and enroll him in his course within VoiceThread. No additional work is required from the instructor or student.
LTI Tool Configuration
Before instructors can use VoiceThread, it must be configured globally for your Haiku instance by an administrator.
- Navigate to Domain Control.
- Click the “Applications” tab.
- Click on “LTI Tools” in the menu bar.
- Click “+Add LTI Tool”.
- Name the configuration (for example: “VoiceThread”).
- For Host, enter: https://yourdomain.voicethread.com/ltione/
- Enter your Key and Secret (provided by VoiceThread).
- Check the Privacy box that says “Share names and email addresses with tool”.
- Click “Save”.
- If the tool is disabled, click on “Manage Tool” and select “Enable”.
- If you want to add a VT icon for this tool, click on “Manage Tool” and select “Change icon”. The following icon is formatted for the Haiku display space: https://voicethread.com/resources/vt-logo-3.png
Error message: “Could not find Org for this launch.”
Make sure you have entered the Consumer Key correctly.
Error message: “The authentication failed; the signature on your request did not match the expected value” or “Unsupported Signature Method”
Check to make sure the Shared Secret is entered correctly.
If the Shared Secret is accurate, please make sure the clock on your Haiku server is accurate.
Error message: “Oh, buttons! We are unable to find [path]”
Make sure the URL is entered correctly.
Instructors do not see the Assignment Builder when setting up their VoiceThread links
Haiku is currently only certified for LTI 1.0. Gradebook integration requires LTI 1.1 or higher. As soon as Haiku is conformant with LTI 1.1, VoiceThread gradebook integration will be available.
You’re not automatically signed in to VoiceThread when you click on a VT link
Make sure your web browser accepts third-party cookies.
When you click on a VT link, you see a page titled “VoiceThread Account Verification”.
This means you already had a VoiceThread account under your email address, and the system is now trying to connect that existing account with your Haiku profile. You’ll only need to complete this step once. To proceed through this page:
- Click on the link that says “Set it here” to set a verification password for your account.
- Proceed through the steps to set a password. This will involve receiving an email from VoiceThread.
- Use that password you just set on the verification page.